Mileage Reimbursement for Employees in the State of Hawaii (HI)

If you live and work in Hawaii you are probably well aware that the gas prices are some of the highest in the nation. If you travel for work you are probably well aware of this and you most likely receive some kind of compensation for your travels. What you may be surprised to learn is that your employer does not have to reimburse you for mileage. They are required to compensate you for time traveled but unless you are traveling on official state business or a Workers Compensation claimant, there is no law stating that you must be reimbursed for your travel expenses.

In my research I found that only the largest private companies reimburse their employees at the current state rate. As of 2004 The Department of Taxation conforms to the federal optional standard mileage rates for computing deductions for operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical, or moving expense purposes. In fact most employers, as well as the state discourage employees from using personal vehicles for travel unless absolutely necessary. For instance reimbursement by private automobile must be pre-authorized. Also there are many stipulations to using your own vehicle. Some of these include two or more persons traveling together, common air carrier service is not available without undue loss of time, and that it will not require the traveler to be away from their duties for a substantially longer period than travel by air.

Employers are required to compensate injured employees for reasonable medical expenses, including travel. An employee who is required to obtain medical treatment shall use public conveyances whenever possible. If the employee is unable due to the nature of their injury, a physical condition, or geographical location, then the most direct route of travel will be allowed for mileage reimbursement. Travel expenses will be paid at the rate set forth by the state.

Bookmark the permalink