Mileage Reimbursement Laws Governing Idaho (ID)

If you travel frequently for work you are probably well aware of your companies travel policies and you most likely receive mileage reimbursement. What you might be surprised to learn is that your employer is not required by law to reimburse you. They only law with regard to business travel is that your employer must compensate you for your time. There are also statutes in place with regard to employees of the state and those traveling on official state business.

Most companies will employ these guidelines in their own policy on travel expenses. If you don’t travel regularly for business it would be a good idea to discuss these policies before your trip. You want to be aware of what expenses you will be reimbursed for and how to go about getting reimbursed. Travel expenses are not usually considered taxable income, unless you are compensated at a higher rate than the federal standard. If your employer chooses not to reimburse you for the miles that you drive than you may claim it as a deduction. The current federal standard rate is $.445 per mile. If you are given a mileage rate and it is below this amount than you may be able to claim the difference, however if you are paid at a higher rate, the excess may be considered taxable wages.

In my research I found the following guidelines: If an agency-owned vehicle is available to the traveler, but for personal convenience a privately-owned conveyance is used, the reimbursement shall be limited to one-half the applicable rate, unless otherwise determined by the director. Allowable in-state mileage shall be computed according to the latest official state highway map or mileage charts. Allowable out-of-state mileage shall be computed according to the latest Rand McNally Atlas. Remember, your employer is not bound to these rules, however they would be reasonable guidelines to follow when considering travel expenses.

Bookmark the permalink